Friday, January 7, 2011

HW 29 - Reading and noting basic materials

Being Sick:

Being sick is thing people around the world must face with everyday that they are alive. When a person gets sick they are usually in bed and miss a day of school, or work. They end up with a high fever and along with a ton of various other symptoms. Through my own experience like today I woke up with a stomach ache, a headache, and a high fever. I took medicine in order to cope with this and to ease the pain that i was going through. Before i took this medicine i felt like if i was going to die that's how unbearable it was then i took Tylenol flu and i felt a little bit better in like an hour or so. If i was stuck with this flu for over a month, i would go crazy.

If there was no medicine at all or no doctors to help me i don't know what i would of done. Funny thing is a lot of us depend on medicine or rely on doctors in order to help us get through our sicknesses. But imagine when our ancestors were alive and there was no doctors nor medicine and how they coped with their illness. Most of them just died a painful death. But we take for granted a lot things that we have today in order to feel less pain, or in order to get better "fast". I speak for myself while stating the above. When i asked my mother about how she coped with the common cold all she said was, "well when I'm sick i drink orange juice and eat chicken noodle soup, and rest mostly." (Mom). And I myself saw my mother when she was really sick when i was five, and she almost face planted right into her soup, bad experience.

Paying for Medical Care:

Paying for medical care is a hassle for everybody now and days because of this recession that we are going through. For my own experience I remembered when i had infection on my thumb last year, and they needed to numb my thumb and slice it open... rather not get into details. Anyways like a month of so late i charged with an almost $658 dollars just for that one thing which took less than 10 minutes... So much help from my so called Health Insurance company. Harper Collins the author the book sick stated, "During the Great Depression, the average cost of a  week in the hospital began to exceed what the majority of Americans earned in a month."(pg.6) Which was bad because as we all know during the Great Depression a lot of people didn't have enough money to even afford a visit in the hospital. And since it most likely took 20 years to recover from the Great Depression imagine how hard it was for people who became sick. In the movie sicko health care insurances didn't care about the people that needed help, all they cared about was the money that they received. Towards the middle of the movie a mother was talking about her daughter dying because the hospital the mother bought her child to didn't accept her insurance. In the end her daughter passed away because of the hospital's fault. Goes to show you how powerful money is. That people kill over money. And the health insurance company doesn't care about people dying as long as they get their money.

Facing Terminal Illness:
Terminal Illness is horrible illness for the patient to overcome. Much like cancer if it gets to advance and is caught late then your basically done for. Like my cousin for instance had prostate cancer and he didn't have any symptoms at all until the postal service asked for an exam and they found out. He found out to late and died a year after. He acted happy so our family wouldn't be bothered which helped us somewhat "forget". But when he died is was the most hardest thing to overcome for me at least and other family.

In the book Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom, the teacher named Mitch was going through a terminal illness that wasn't curable so he had to go through a whole lot of symptoms while he alive to overcome. Mitch the teacher states, "
But there are days where I am depressed. Let me not decieve you. I see certain things going and I feel a sense of dread. What am I going to do without my hands? What happens when I can't speak? Swallowing, I don't care so much about - so they feed me through a tube, so what?" (pg.70) A lot of people who have terminal illness will most likely feel the same way. Many Americans take life granted until they are faced with an illness that isn't curable, and that's when they start praying, and crying for people's help. Let's say people who are on death row they feel a ton of dread and are filled with fear. And when and if there day comes to die they are scared to death and start crying and then a priest comes in and etc etc. (I'm stating in any shape or form that the death penalty is good nor bad). And that's basically what people feel when they know they are faced with something incurable.



No comments:

Post a Comment